Led by a movie that set out as a training film for Navy SEALs (and which featured actual SEALs in the principal roles) and may wind up as the most effective recruitment film of all time, the U.S. box office continued its rally from last year’s first-quarter setback. With Relativity Media’s Act of Valor beating original forecasts with a $24.48-million debut, the domestic box office collected $133.74 million, up 23.25 percent above the same weekend a year ago, which finished with $108.51 million. In second place was Lionsgate’s Tyler Perry’s Good Deeds. While not among Perry’s best deeds at the box office, the movie nevertheless managed to rake in $15.58 million in just 2,132 theaters. In third place was Warner Bros.’ Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, which fell just 33 percent in its third place to wind up with $13.39 million. It managed to leapfrog over the three films that beat it last weekend: Safe House, with $10.93 million; The Vow, with $9.92 million; and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, with $9.01 million.
The top ten films over the weekend, according to final figures compiled by Media by Numbers (figures in parentheses represent total gross to date):1. Act of Valor, Relativity Media, $24,476,632, (New); 2. Tyler Perry’s Good Deeds, Lionsgate, $15,583,924, (New); 3. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, Warner Bros., $13,389,102, 3 Wks. ($76,645,453); 4. Safe House, Universal, $10,926,145, 3 Wks. ($97,622,705); 5. The Vow, Sony, $9,916,74, 3 Wks. ($102,924,117); 6. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Sony, $9,006,135, 2 Wks. ($38,038,217); 7. This Means War, 20th Century Fox, $8,425,010, 2 Wks. ($33,495,646); 8. Wanderlust, Universal, $6,526,650, (New); 9. Gone, Summit, $4,770,360, (New); 10. The Secret World of Arrietty, Disney, $4,351,115, 2 Wks.
- ‘Act of Valor,’ ‘Good Deeds’ enter box office (variety.com)
- “Act of Valor” Takes Down “Good Deeds” to Win Box Office Weekend (inquisitr.com)
- Weekend Box Office: ‘Act Of Valor’ Attacks Box Office (news.moviefone.com)
- Move over Hollywood actors, Navy SEALs take over as ‘Act of Valor’ tops box office (foxnews.com)
- On Oscar weekend, ‘Act of Valor’ storms box office (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- ‘Valor’ shows grit at Friday B.O. (variety.com)
- Box Office Preview: ‘Valor’ to SEAL the deal (sfgate.com)
- ‘Act of Valor’ Fights To Top (myfoxny.com)
- On Oscar weekend, ‘Act of Valor’ storms box office (pbpulse.com)
- Did Tyler Perry ‘Good Deeds’ Take The Box Office? (ksfm.radio.com)